Monday, August 22, 2011

A Wagon Ride...


I'm feeling so inspired and joyful after another beautiful Monday Morning Garden; my in-home program for children 20-28 months. Our weekly 3 hours together is becoming more and more the highlight of my week. This age is so....angelic.
I don't mean that in the sense of something sentimental, "oh, he is such an angel!"
I do mean it in the way that there is some very real spiritual guidance surrounding these children, and I am in no way referring to myself. They are so "in their own bodies", they are such a part of this world around them. Everything they see becomes a part of them. What they touch, touches them.


Each morning, I attempt to create a scene for them. Sometimes it gets knocked over or totally ignored. But it is there. This morning, it was 2 dollies tucked in and sleeping, and another with a spoon in hand and bowl; waiting to be fed.


Our small fence in our backyard is complete, so the children played outdoors for a bit before taking a ride in the wagon.




My little guy is now in love with smelling flowers...
Sometimes, it looks more like he is trying to eat them:)


With a small amount of guidance and imitation, the children took turns pushing and pulling the wagon.
I'll say it again, sharing and taking turns is such a premature concept for young 2 year olds...
All I can continue to do is model this behavior and keep my expectations in line with their development.



On the way home, their gazes went from excited to quietly concentrated...they were really taking their surroundings in; their heads turning, their eyes everywhere. 

Right before arriving back home, we found our first Fall leaf of the season; a glimpse of what is yet to come in our world:)




14 comments:

  1. They are precious.
    What a wonderful age and how lucky they are to have you.
    Warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love seeing all those little ones pushing one another in the wagon! So very adorable! You've created a magical world for them!
    It's lovely to see and read about.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! I love the sweet little scene you set for them!

    This post reminds me of my W and his friend last summer when they were about that age and the wagon was their favorite thing.

    Thank you so much for sharing! Much love to you my friend!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of setting a little scene for them. When I do that with the kids toys they are also very drawn to it. Thanks for this post...I also read somewhere yesterday that little kids laugh 300 times a day. Isn't that just so special?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been following your last few posts with enthusiasm. My daughter is 18 months old and we are beginning our journey to me becoming a Waldorf early childhood teacher as well. She is also so active and social, I almost feel as if having a few other children in her age bracket with a simple rhythm like this would be helpful in grounding her a bit, plus I love this age with all it's challenges. They really mirror the things we adults have surpressed...being int heir bodies, as you mentioned, honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know what you mean! Aubrey is such a sponge! The joy for me this time around is just letting it all unfold without interuption. Watching him imitate goes from hilarious ( watching him walkin ground a friends living room with a plastic bag over his hand pickin gup imaginary dog poo!) to divine ( watching him "play" the cello on a jam jar lantern with a puzzle piece while singing "cello, cello, cello" in the sweetest voice. My favourite words right now are wait and watch. I am constantly amazed by what I discover my dear one knows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure why I had to post as annoymous but it was the only way I could get it to post! Sorry! Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, they look like they are having such a fun time. The park you often visit looks fantastic!
    I hope you enjoy your Tuesday as much as your Mondays!
    hugs,
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this- and I so appreciate the reverence with which you regard young children! You are so correct in calling them angels~ and about not expecting 2 year olds to understand sharing. I have seen so many babies that age expected to "share," to have things wrenched from their hands (somehow to model "sharing"), given to a friend, while they cry their heart out. It can be so difficult though, because at that age they also love to grab things out of one another's hands and do not understand why they cannot! Oh my.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. my LO just turned 2 and at her party she was taking turns pushing and pulling with her cousins in the wagon. So funny how kids just know if things are modeled for them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing! What a delight to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post. I love all the photos, but the last one with the leaf captured my heart. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is heart warming and enlivening to see the reverence you have for the little ones in your care. I soak it up and bring it along with me as I care for my own angels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A delicious post with delightful photos... Now that my little guy is walking we are all having ever even so much more fun than I could have imagined. I have decided that the delights of having a toddler around the house are very under-rated.

    xo
    MB

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read and appreciate all feedback.. Thanks for stopping by!