Monday, February 28, 2011

Peek-a-boo sprites and nature vases

Our latest toymaking project, inspired by the life giving Springtime!
Photobucket
A peek-a-boo sprite!
They live in the trees and only come out when they are ready to cause jolly mischief:)
I was inspired to create these little sprites after a windstorm blew branches down from the trees at the Rose Garden near our home.
That, and countless games of peek-a-boo here in our home lately:)
Photobucket
If you have a hole drill, a thick tree branch, some metal hinges, and a wooden peg doll, you can create this sweet little plaything.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Screwing in the hinges was a bit tricky, and I've got some troubleshooting to do before I start gifting them for Easter!
Photobucket
I also found that they make beautiful flower vases...a cute (and very budget friendly!) addition to a nature table, for sure!
I don't think I'll be filling them with water for fresh flowers, but rather using them for dried sprigs...
Photobucket
*By the way, how do you feel about dried flowers? Personally, I've always loved them. I remember my mother requesting for me to take down the myriads I had in my bedroom growing up...hanging from the posts of my beloved canopy bed, etc. She thought they were giving me an allergy!*
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Buddha and our breakfast cereal on top of the fridge.
He also doubles as a secret candy stash location...
(I love sweets so much it's almost a little frightening...)

Photobucket

Spring is coming, and we feel its breath.
It feels incredible and promising.

Photobucket



18 comments:

  1. Love the peek a boo sprite! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sweet! Clever creative mama, you! Spring really does play peek-a-boo too, doesn't she? Patches of grass peeking through the snow only to be covered up again by more snow. I'm speaking from the Canadian perspective, here. We're nowhere near flowers yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it all! (especially that last sweet photo ~ precious).
    Thinking we may need to make some of those nature inspired vases. simply lovely.
    Shanti

    ReplyDelete
  4. your peek-a-boo sprites are gorgeous! I often have dried flowers throughout my house, although not on purpose but because I haven't changed them or the children have brought them in after walks. It didn't occur to me to keep them but perhaps now ill use some of your creative ideas for hanging them about, yours look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Rebecca. Your energy inspiring.

    Happy March!!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The branch vases are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your peek-a-boo sprite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love dried flowers and herbs ! I have so many hanging from the rafter in my kitchen/family room. I think I've saved almost all the roses I've received from my husband, and use dried flowers and herbs in my decorating. They hold up way better than fresh (duh!) and are so pretty.

    I love the light in your last photo of W with the kitty. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I love the peek-a-boo sprites! How cute! I also wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your article over at ROTH. You have a gift for making things beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pee-a-boo branch... am wondering if I can actually make one without cutting off my own finger in the process?! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very clever. Another one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The peek-a-boo sprites are really, really sweet. I am going to send these to my man, and have him craft them for the girls. :)

    I also want extra for vases, I have these (http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/test-tubes) that I can use as an insert for fresh flowers. They are 2L soda bottles before they are "blown" up - my dad gave us a bunch of them. :)

    Your ROTH article was inspiring - I have been looking for *just* the perfect branch to hang over our craft table.

    Take care,
    ~carrie~

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and led me here. You have a lovely space too. Those knit flowers are darling. Reading your words about you son... so moving. You so clearly love him with all of your heart and are doing what you truly believe is best for him. Lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness...I want a windowsill full of peekaboo gnomes!!!!!
    xoxoxoxoxox maureen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow I love love love those peek a boo sprites! They're so cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday :) I hope you'll visit again!

    xoxo
    Janee
    yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ps I "followed" your blog :)

    xoxo
    Janee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, wonderful! Just love it! To use large walnut shells as liters for tooth-fairy bags we used to drill two holes in each half and made some kind of hinge to connect them with gold thread in a cross-wise manner.... May be this would help to avoid having to fix a metal hinge? Or use string and button similar as done on this box? http://felt.co.nz/listing/15100/Ring-BOXX----Celadon-Cleartop
    All the best, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read and appreciate all feedback.. Thanks for stopping by!