Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bye Bye, Plastic!?


Ok. I am admitting it- plastic makes me feel kind of yucky and panicky. Call me "crunchy", weird, "out there", etc. etc... You won't be the first, I assure you. I take no offense...hear me out, though...
Plastics are everywhere and in most cases are very affordable and convenient. But, increasingly scientists are finding that a hidden cost may be our health. Some common plastics release harmful chemicals into our air, foods, and drinks. Think: that weird, lingering smell of a new shower curtain...we don't have to imagine the reality of chemicals, such as BPA and PVC, abundant in the toys our children mouth, the containers we store our food in, etc. Makes me feel a little uneasy, friends...
Instead of *worrying* about plastics, I have chosen to be *careful* and *mindful* in my decisions; especially when it comes to children's toys and what we store our food in. I've already weeded out 95% of the plastic from W's toys; this has been ongoing for some time now. Next step is our kitchen...enter my overflowing drawer of yogurt containers, Earth Balance tubs, tupperware, etc. Oh boy.
Photobucket
The plastic food containers we currently have will now be used to store non food items, such as crafting materials, rubberbands, etc. I'm using mason jars and "upcycled" food jars (think: applesauce and pickle jars--they're huge!) to store our yummy leftovers. In the end, we end up reusing more than we recycle, so that is always a great thing..
Thanks for reading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! I read and appreciate all feedback.. Thanks for stopping by!