Friday, August 13, 2010

I am thankful for....

Photobucket
Remembering 10:42 PM with a journal entry and candle lighting...

W's first birthday has come and gone....
We had a lovely time reminiscing, laughing, spending time with family and friends...
W received beautiful and thoughtful gifts; I was speechless most of the afternoon. The generosity and love which people have shown our little boy is amazing and so completely appreciated.
W has had a nickname since the day he was born: Worm. I remember watching him wriggle in bed; kicking the covers off of his little body with so much strength and might! One night, in the wee hours of the morning, I said aloud, "you are such a worm!" I was exhausted and making no sense...but the name has stuck. Hard. We rarely call him by his birth name...which we should probably begin doing!
I'd love to share some of the "worm themed" gifts little W received...
Photobucket

The cutest recycled wool soaker I've ever seen!
Photobucket
Wood stacker from a dear friend...
Photobucket
Handmade card which is now a permanent fixture on our fridge...
Photobucket
A rock for the base of the Cherry Tree we planted on W's birthday...
Photobucket
Photobucket
A family tree book handmade by my beautiful and talented cousin. each family member has a designated page with a tree reflecting his/her personality.
Photobucket
My brother, the artist
Photobucket
My dear Aunt Val, passed 3 years ago...a beautiful spirit
Photobucket
My cousin, always on the road..
Photobucket
My tree....I love it!
Photobucket
An avid skier in my family...

There is so much to be thankful for....every day is a gift and a treasure. Take nothing for granted! Here's to a beautiful weekend....


...The gold that has the greatest worth
and shines with purest light
cannot be found in depths of earth
nor on the mountain height..
But those who look with loving eyes
can learn how to behold
what lies within the human heart
the precious, inner gold...

24 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a wonderful time...What great friends and family you have to give such thoughtful gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. such lovely gifts, creative handmade with attention to detail
    Beautiful!
    :) Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post- I love reading the story of his nickname and the wonderful gifts he received. They are just lovely and seem very in tune with your lovely approach to life. Thanks so much for sharing! Happy Weekend! Peace, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect first birthday. Happy Birthday to your little worm. ;-) I love all the handmade goodness. My little guy got a handmade cape from a friend of mine for his birthday & there is nothing more special than knowing the time and love poured into that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What thoughtful and sweet family and friends you have! Those gifts are all wonderful. I really love the worm stacker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a creative family! Looks like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful!

    i am grateful for:

    ::my date night...pasta dinner out followed by Eat, Pray, Love with my sweetie
    ::the rhythm of my day with my guys
    ::being in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome book! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what sweetand thoughtful gifts! I think that your little worm is blessed with a wonderful momma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has to be one of the sweetest posts ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful. There is nothing like the love that goes into a handmade gift for a baby, it takes your breath away.
    WE have a Bear (11), a Noodle (5) and Munka (2), and rarely use their real names! They usually think they are in trouble if we do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry, just posted from my 'work' profile! That's not really me! This is me! Actually we are both me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the handmade goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much love in this post! You can tell how much you both are loved! And, those nicknames have a way of letting go when they need to. My son had a nickname until he turned three. Then, he told us that he would no longer be called bynthe nickname. "I'm going back to Liev," he said.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful sentiments! i LOVE that card and the tree book. such thoughtful gifts they all are. happy birth day to you, mama. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! such a creative family. Amazing gift. Handmade are always special. Happy birthday little worm..so cute.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such lovely, lovely gifts your little Worm recieved! So nice to have family and friends who understand the importance of giving something with meaning and love, not just another cheap, plastic toy, isn't it?!?! Looks like it was a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We just had a birthday party for River and I wish the gifts were a little more meaningful. He got so much STUFF that I am hiding it and in a month or 2 going to through it away! Looks like you all had a good time..I like how nicknames stick when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. You have so much to be thankful for. I love all of those handmade Worm-themed gifts. And I think your remembering ceremony is such a beautiful idea. Happy birth*day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thankyou for your comment! What a lovely book - you are a very lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What lovely gifts. Your little Worm is a blessed little boy!

    Your post brought back wonderful memories of the time my now 11-year old son was one and his nickname was Wiggle Worm...for exactly the same reasons! He was close to three before I stopped calling him that. Though, he still doesn't sit still!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Rebecca ~ A happy Birthday to your little worm. I think little names like these are just meant for our little ones. They have such meaning don't they.. I have one for each child too. My eldest daughter has started objecting to me calling her this as she grows older. Wow..that will be tough as she will always be my 'boogs'.

    A happy day to you.
    Warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read and appreciate all feedback.. Thanks for stopping by!